Thursday, April 05, 2007

Philly, Wonder Years, New York

I landed in Philly around 8 pm, which was kind of late but not at the same time. I slept the majority of the trip, and my body clock was still set to 5 pm. Nevertheless, I was exhausted. I don't know what it is about long trips, but you always end up being really tired after you reach your destination.

Anyway, so by the time I got to CityTeam, ate some dinner, and got settled in my room, it was around 9:30. Chester, Philadelphia is one rundown town. I don't think I saw one building that looked somewhat new or kept up. It was pretty amazing to me. Even though I've been here before, it just looked worse. Maybe it was because last time I came during winter, and everything always looks pretty awful in sleet and ice.

Before I went to bed, I turned on the TV to see if anything was on. What do I come to find? The Wonder Years, baby! And not just one episode but two back-to-back! I was about to cry, but I kept laughing from the all the brilliant dialogue and terribly awkward moments in the show. It was the old episodes where Kevin was an idiot. He was an innocent idiot...but an idiot nonetheless. Where Paul was athletically challenged, and Winnie was cute and sweet and still waiting for Kevin to come to his senses.

Actually, after watching the first episode, I realized how well-written it was. It wasn't only a story about one boy's experiences during his teenage years, but it was also a commentary on U.S. history during the 1960's. I don't think shows do that anymore. Shows today don't take a teenager's life and intertwine historical events into it to guide him through the decisions he makes. Ultimately, though, it was just about a boy and a girl and their journey together through the most defining years of their lives. Much like Dawson's Creek (also an amazing show for different reasons), but a whole lot better. The Wonder Years...man, they really need to put that show on DVD.

Onto other things: Tomorrow is Good Friday, which means it's a holiday for Christians. That also means that there isn't anything happening here at CityTeam, so I get to spend my holiday here in the East. I expressed my strong interest in New York, so one of the staff here offered to take me there tomorrow. New York, baby! I've always wanted to go, so I'm totally excited. Sorry, Kuya, no picture next to the Rocky statue. A shame...but I'll sacrifice the Rocky statue for Times Square, the Empire State Building, Union Station, and Ground Zero. It's like a photographer's dream, which a lot of photographers already had. But I haven't, and that's what matters!

Alrighty, that's all for now. I can't wait till 10 tonight where I can watch more The Wonder Years. Yeah!

3 comments:

Oli said...

Um excuse me...rocky statue please. I want to go to New York sometime.

Luke said...

awesome! have a blast in New York. I think New York has a lot of atmosphere. It's melancholy.. about as city as it gets. People rushing around, tall buildings, cement cement cement.. but it's old cement, almost a natural human habitat.

Anyhoo, good emotive place. I'm sure you'll have great fun. (c:

Dave1974 said...

I took a picture of Rocky's footsteps on top of the Library steps. I thought it was cool eventhough I'm not really a Rocky fan. But the best thing about Philly are the cheesesteaks. Abner's, baby! Abner's!
Oh, and the whole Liberty Bell thing was kinda boring. You can skip that.