Thursday, March 24, 2005

School in and school out.

I have been working my big butt off the last week or two trying to get grade A stuff into my classes. I'm taking a class on Flash, which is a great excuse to finally update, and be consistent with updating, my website. Last night was the highest point, hopefully, of intensity as far as work loads go. I didn't sleep a wink, and I worked on Flash assignments all night. It was mainly on a slideshow I need to make for class, ideally of potential pictures I will put up on my newly designed website. It'll be fully done by the end of April since that will be the same time classes end, and since the final project is a full-blown website published in the internet, I would think that is when my site will be done.

Today, we were taught how Dreamweaver and FTP works, so now I actually know what I'm doing when I upload my stuff on my site. I put up a test page on my site, so lemphotography.com isn't displaying the design it had before, but just a basic page. I did put my slideshow up on the site, though, so you can watch it if you like. Sorry that the flash movie is a large file, I haven't figured out how to compress the movies yet to make them smaller.

Even though it's a ton of work, it's a ton of welcomed work. At least I'm getting my site "refurbished" and getting more of my work out there; much of my pictures on the slideshow are of more recent work. In the end, my labors are actually heading somewhere.

7 comments:

Phil said...

Just a tip--

Please don't make a site that is all flash. A few flash enhancements are one thing, but when considering usability, a site that is heavily dependent on flash loses marks big time. Use flash when it offers serious multimedia advantages that you can't get elsewhere; don't just use it because you it's fun and it looks cool.

(Of course if it's your personal site, do whatever you like, but I'm talking about a site that is meant for the general public.)

Luke said...

awww. phiill..! but I thought everyone had highspeed internet, flash-capable computers nowadays. It IS hard to copy text off of flash though. But it certainly can look cool. Lem, I'm jealous. I wanna learn flash programming. (c: Teach me some afternoon, right? heh heh.

MalaBOOYAH said...

I don't think I want a site fully dependant on Flash because of loading time and whatnot. Phil is right, but Flash seems to be a common use for us photography dorks just because it presents our pictures much better than simple html coding.

I hope he teaches us a little more about html just to give us more options to design and be time efficient.

Dave1974 said...

Love your new photo.

Phil said...

For an example of a site that is bad because its designer was in love with flash: my church. You can't find any information on it! But it does look cool.

Ditto on the photo; it's cool.

MalaBOOYAH said...

Alright. I agree Phil, that's a pretty bad site. It seems too cluttered, plus the Flash doesn't even mesh well with the rest of the site. However, it doesn't mean that a completely Flash website is bad. Here is a great website that is all Flash. Easy to navigate, simple in design, and it brings out the point...which is "LOOK AT MY PICTURES!"

Luke said...

I liked the photo blog the guy had lem, though you should be able to skip over Photos.. or maybe have an enlarged one, or something. Having to click on each one to just move the par of photos I found to be irritating. Similarly with your own, I have to wait through all of them and have no control, though I know you were basically making a presentation peice. Phil, your church's one is nice, but I think it is hilarious to have all my little "adblock" tabs sticking out everywhere. (c: So funny for some reason. Still has the flash rigidity.