Thursday, April 28, 2005

Third and sixth.

I listened through the third album by Lifehouse on my way down to my parents' from Biola. It's a pretty good listen, though I think I like the second one better (Stanley Climbfall), but they still haven't topped their first one (No Name Face). Like always, their first few songs on their (self-titled) album were really strong, though it seemed to sort of drone through the rest. I'll have to give it a few more listens, but from what I heard, it's pretty good.

I also noticed that this album is more upbeat and has a lighter mood in its sound. Is it just me, or is Lifehouse progressing as a band? Their first album was so depressing and a terrible downer, their second seemed to give off some kind of "I'm searching for something" type of message, and they found that hope they've been looking for in their third album. Maybe I'm just being way to analytical, but I appreciated that in their third album. Not that I didn't like their first at all; in fact, their first is probably their best.

I just got done watching Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country. It's still as good as it used to be. I will probably say that this movie was the best Star Trek movie ever made. The story was incredibly well-written. Nothing over the top like time-traveling (IV and VIII), but nothing mediocre in the grand scheme of things (II and IX). Plus it had all that conspiracy stuff that can be great if done well. This movie did it well, especially for a sci-fi set film.

It's awesome that the original series' cast could go out with such a bang. I'm so sad that the TNG cast didn't have that fortune. Boo on Star Trek: Nemesis!

5 comments:

Oli said...

Undiscovered Country and Generations are the best Star Trek movies ever.

Tim said...

I remember watching Undiscovered country in the theaters with dad and it being awesome. It changed my life...

The cast of the characters of TNG is a gift to any writer--there's so much to work with! Why oh why couldn't they come up with a good story for the last two TNG movies?

Nemesis was just bad.

Dave1974 said...

Sci-Fi is Dead!
"Starship Troopers" killed it.

MalaBOOYAH said...

It's true, there hasn't been an amazing sci-fi flick in a long time. I thought Lost in Space was good, though. Lucas' new Star Wars installments have been a complete joke; his third episode better pull through and save his series. I will give him this one last chance.

I'm hoping that Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy will be the one movie that does really well as a sci-fi movie. I loved the book; they better not ruin it in the movie.

Serenity has promise to shine, but it has promise to utterly suck.

RaydenUni said...

I saw Hitchhiker's last night. It was fun to watch but looking back and comparing to the book, it is terrible. They so blatantly added stuff that was not in the book. This includes entire sections of the plot and a love story.

There is a scifi space movie coming out in the near future if I remember correctly. Serenity.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/universal/serenity/