Sunday, October 23, 2005

I want more...


This past Monday I had the opportunity to see Switchfoot in concert. They had their opening show for their Nothing is Sound in Ventura. Don't ask me why they chose this dull town, it boggles me too. Still, though, it was great to go ten minutes from home to see one of my favorite bands.

Here is Tim, Daniel, Todd, and I waiting for the first opening act in the theatre. Daniel has a funny face, but that's okay because it's Daniel. The two acts were alright, I suppose. A punk rock band came on first called Reeve Oliver, but I felt like they lacked in any new or unique sounds. Their first and last song were great, and everything else was "eh." The second act was, I swear, looked like a group of home schoolers. But then again, I thought they looked that way because someone told me they were raised home schooled. They just had that appearance of style and fashion you would find if you went back ten years and looked at what was cool at that time. They're music, though, was pretty impressive. Very much like that Radiohead sound, or a much slower and mellow Evanescence. Not that it was much to my liking, but for the kind of music they play, it was played well.

Anyway, Switchfoot came on after Eisley (the home schooler band, heh) was finished. The setup took forever (45 min.), so we ended up taking a bunch of silly pictures. Thanks, Tim, for bringing your digital camera.

Switchfoot put on a very good show. They have fun on the stage, and I appreciated that. The set list was everything from their two newest albums. I hoped they would play some from their older stuff. At one point in the concert, Switchfoot gave the audience a choice between two songs from their older albums - Chem 6A or Company Car. My friends and I cheered for Chem 6A, but of course they played Company Car. Sorry, Phil. I tried. Company Car is still a great song. It was also great seeing only half of the audience sing along to their older stuff. Now I understand what my cousins were talking about when they went to a U2 concert and were surrounded by All That You Can't Leave Behind fans. Very amusing.

Todd was telling me how he wished that Switchfoot would go back to their older stuff. They've become more and more like a rock 'n roll band, but they did lose a lot of their original sound. I still like their newest album the best so far, but Todd is right. Oh, well. Also, I miss their more direct music and worship to God in their songs they had before. Because of their secular label, they had to become more ambiguous in their lyrics. Plus they had to dodge some lyrics in their live performance during the concerts, and that was a bit of a disappointment. I suppose they have their restrictions, but I think their wider audience has opened up opportunities for them to show Christ in their lives along with their music.

But are they sellouts? I would like to think so.

11 comments:

MalaBOOYAH said...

Ha! Just kidding. I like Switchfoot.

Todd the Moose said...

I'm so sexy.

Oli said...

Switchfoot is better now that they've gotten rid of that darn Christian label they use to have. Now they can make more money, become more popular, and automatically have cooler music.

Possum said...

Preach it, Oli!

Sometimes, Jesus just gets in the way of the important things. I think Switchfoot smartened up.

Anonymous said...

Oliver's totally right. HA! Ultimately though, if Switchfoot earns enough respect, they can talk and sing about whatever they want (i.e. Christ) and people won't care.

Tim said...

Didn't Switchfoot sell out last album, for Beautiful Letdown? (What is the song 24 about?)

Heh, "automatically have cooler music." That's the best quote.

Luke said...

or they could immediately lose all the respect they had by talking about whatever they want (i.e Christ) and people won't care either.

Luke said...

oh. p.s. you got cool friends. my friends down here are only so-so cool 'cause i don't think they'd ever go to a switchfoot concert. maan.

MalaBOOYAH said...

Jon turned 24, I think, when he wrote that song. So I'm guessing it's about his life in the past 24 years and how he's failed ("24 failures, and 24 tries) and how unimportant he's been. Or something like that. I never really tried to analyze it, it just has a nice tune.

Anonymous said...

Anytime a man says the words 'admit that I'm wrong', the song automatically has the best lyrics ever.

Anonymous said...

My understanding is that Jon wrote the song "24" the night before his 25'th birthday. I think Lem's got the right idea with the songs meaning about his past 24 years. Something about turning a quarter century that puts a person in reflection.

I personally asked Jon (Lem was there) if he considered "this" (meaning his concert, music, job, life) a career or a ministry. To which he replied........ with an expectedly ambiguous 'I consider my life a ministry'