Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Oh, that silly Kenobi!

I forgot to mention this:

*WARNING! This post contains movie spoilers regarding Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith.

As I watched Episode 3 of Star Wars, I was puzzled with Obi-Wan's phrase "Only the Sith deal in absolutes," but didn't think too much of it until I noticed that it really got to some people. Maybe not "really," but people gave it more thought that I did. Some people think it was Lucas' way of stating that the Star Wars philosophy is morally relativistic. Others made a parallel of this scene with Jesus. Others, like my buddies Jon and Phil, think it's just crap like other lines written into the script.

The whole Jesus comparison was rather shocking to me, but I guess it shouldn't be since anyone will take a jab at God and Jesus when they can...even if it's a incredibly weak and scrawny one. The comparison is terribly put out of context, though. Context, people! Context! The verse, if you're wondering, is Matthew 12:30.

I decided that the whole "absolute" line is just poorly dialogue line because it doesn't have any backbone to it. Ten minutes into the lightsaber duel, Obi-Wan is yelling, "Anakin! Palpatine is evil!" I wonder what Lucas was trying to pull with the whole thing.

I like Phil's comment about this: "Clearly you can't have a good movie that is morally relativistic, but you can try."

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Of course, in Mark 9:40 Jesus says, "He that is not against us is for us," so it goes both ways. Maybe Obi Wan should've said that instead.

Dave1974 said...

Remember, in the end, Anakin WAS NOT the chosen one. LUKE was. And he was Good.

By the way, it's ONLY a movie 'fellas.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I think Obi Wan was just looking for something to say to rebuke Anakin, and that was the best he could come up with at the moment.

MalaBOOYAH said...

Actually, David, Anakin was indeed the Chosen One. In the end Anakin/Darth Vader was the one who destroyed the emperor and himself. Luke was a key player, but Anakin did fulfill the prophecy. It just wasn't the way Obi-Wan, Yoda, Mace, or Qui-Gon thought it'd be fulfilled.

Oli said...

Ya, that's what makes Lucas so genius, cuz' Anakin DOES bring balance to the force, just not the way anyone thought it would be.