Monday, November 15, 2004

Sunday.

Okay, so I didn't go to church today, and I feel terrible for not doing so; nevertheless, God's plans for my day was somewhat unexpected.

I didn't really do much today except call artists for a project due Tuesday. I never got call backs from them, so I came out with no results today. The evening had much more in store for me, and it got better as it went on.

Chrissy, Nyssa, and I went to Bible study tonight, and it was very good. I can't say that the study was anything new or incredibly stimulating, but it's just a Bible study, so I'll let it fly. :) The life application lessons were all there, and it served as a strong Bible study.

I almost got brave enough to speak out and put in my two cents, but I hesitated, and the moment passed. I need to work on that, for I believe it will make me better as a person and it will make the other students better as people. Anyawy, here is the passage that we studied.

Philippians 3:12-16 (NIV)

12Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. 13Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, 14I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

15All of us who are mature should take such a view of things. And if on some point you think differently, that too God will make clear to you. 16Only let us live up to what we have already attained.


I wanted to write down what I would have spoke up on since I didn't at the house. It was on the last verse. The NIV isn't the best version for this verse, for it doesn't emphasize the right word that I felt was very important. The word in this translation is "only," but the word in other versions are "however (NASB)," "but (NLT)," and "nevertheless (KJV)."

Paul was pressing the idea to the Philippians to reach the goal that God has set for us. He says to not look back at our past lives and forgetting the sins and mistakes we have done before and to look forward and reach for the perfection that is Jesus. Yet in the last verse in this passage, he says, "However, let us keep living by that same standard to which we have attained" (NASB). After the encouragement of looking and going forward, he directs us to not forget what we have learned so far in our faith in God. We shouldn't lose sight of our past lessons and teachings, yet focus on the goal set in front of us. He tells us to look back only for God and nothing else, and thus we see God in our past and our pressing future.

I think that point was missed in the Bible study, but that's alright. We still benefitted greatly for tonight, and I am encouraged. After I got back home, I talked with Jane for two and a half hours about systematic theology and the Reformed doctrines. After the talk, I went to my room and chatted with Chrissy more about Reformed theology and God. Actually, I'm still chatting with her as I write this.

So ends this journal. I hope that I'm not far off on my point, and if I am, please correct me. I am still a young Christian learning as I go.

No comments: