Thursday, October 28, 2004

SnFrncsco

SFO is one cool city. I made a couple trips there in the past two days to take pictures with the lensbaby. I can't say that the photographs are great, but they were a lot of fun to take. The lensbaby is a challenge to use well; I had trouble focusing right and making pictures look good with it. The pictures are more artsy than journalistic, but that's how it is with the lensbaby. There's just no way to pull off a journalistic shot with it. Here are some pictures that I took:

sf1.jpg

sf2.jpg

sf3.jpg

sf4.jpg

The fourth one is of Gwyn Roberts. Her and I partnered up as we tackled the task of photographing the beautiful city. She is one cool fish.

There is something about SFO that I am drawn to so strongly. I love the city in a way that I don't understand because I don't love LA the same way. In fact, I'm not fond of LA at all. I think SFO beats the crap out of LA, but maybe because it's right next to the coast that I love SFO so much. There is much more life there that I feel closer to because of my history with the Bay Area. I have a connection with SFO that is unmatched by any other connection between me and another city in the US. I feel more safe there, too.

I shot Kuya's game today as well. It was a fun watch; very close.


Tim dribbles the puck down the court. Sorry about the soft focus. I suck. Posted by Hello

Kuya's team won 5-4, and the goalie from the opposing team pulled their goalie in the last minute. A hockey game is always great when a team pulls their goalie.

Love SFO. Love hockey. My break is 3/4 done. Darn.

6 comments:

Oli said...

What's a lensbaby?

MalaBOOYAH said...

It's this.

Phil said...

SF pretty much kicks LA's butt out of the park.

Unless you count the fictional portrayal of LA from Collateral. Then it almost comes close.

Possum said...

I was going to comment on Collateral, but you beat me to it, Phil. L.A. isn't fictional in that movie, but it is interpreted in a specific way. Question: Was Dante's Divine Comedy's Florence fictional? I suggest that Collateral was attempting to portray the heart of L.A., its immaterial self, so to speak.

The Lens Boy is cool. I liked the subject matter in the picture with the guy wearing an orange vest. It made me think, or at least it had an affect on me the others didn't have. I think it was the combination of the working civil servants with the slacking people on the stairs behind them. Sort of a Marxist class statement. :0)

MalaBOOYAH said...

I knew Jon would come around sooner or later to defend his beloved LA. :) I do agree with you, though. The city that was portrayed in Collateral was a certain interpretation, and I loved that side of the city. I just wish I saw it more often around there, but that simply isn't the case.

Possum said...

Holy cow! I was looking at voting results by county in California. San Francisco County voted over 80% for Kerry! Wow. Cnn has the break down, it's really interesting. The whole bay area is flaming liberal, I bet it's the most liberal area in the country. If I was a conservative living there I would feel like a single member of Greenpeace at a whaling convention. Or like a whale at a whaling convention.